Thursday, February 25, 2010

I LOVE MY JOB!

 
Tonight was a super affirmation of what I do.  If you aren't familiar with my work, I teach 9th Girls choir, 9th Men's choir, Piano Lab, AP Theory, and assist MHS Concert Choir.  I really do enjoy my work, but sometimes I forget WHY.... 

I went to the MS Junior college/community college festival which happened to be held in my town.  I went with a friend who shares my love for good choral music and one of my current seniors who is looking for a good school.  I got to hear 5 choirs and they sounded well.  But the greatest part? 13 WERE MY FORMER STUDENTS!!!!   If you have ANY connection with music, you know the incredible bond you create when you make music together.  I was SO THRILLED to see them continue singing at the college level.  Even if they never major in music, I know they learned a lifelong gift.  Now I admit, I want MORE STUDENTS to sing at the college level :)- but what a SUPER moment today was!

Each student has a unique story and incredible memories.  We went on several trips- District and State festivals, Atlanta, recruiting, everywhere!  These students were in football, basketball, soccer, weightlifting, band, honor society, and church events.  One student I had since he was in EIGHTH grade!! 

Each face looked alive when they sang.  Each voice supported and strengthened their ensembles.   Each set of eyes were bright and focused on their director.  I TEARED UP!!

Singers- you make me proud!  Never stop singing-- for it is the ONE gift that is a glimpse of heaven!

Now really, how many math teachers get teared up when their kids get an A in College Algebra?!?!?  Music is so MUCH more fun (not to mention how complex sight-reading is... but I digress!)!!!

No comments: